ebook accessibility training
Creating accessible ebooks from InDesign
In association with DIG Inclusion, we offer this one-day training course on creating accessible ebooks (EPUB and Kindle) using Adobe InDesign (CS5.5 or later).
Some prior knowledge of HTML and CSS as well as a basic understanding of InDesign would be helpful, but are not essential.
When and where
We offer both on-site (UK and Europe) and scheduled open training days. Please contact us on +44 (0)1932 355 222 for details, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applying structure with headings, lists, tables etc
- Images and alt text
- Navigation (TOCs, landmarks, pages list)
- Colour contrast requirements
- Creating section breaks
- Anchoring content
- The Articles panel
- Inserting video and audio
- Exporting to and unzipping an EPUB
- Understanding the anatomy of an EPUB
- Editing HTML, CSS and EPUB-specific mark up
- Adding metadata
- Converting EPUB to .mobi and KF8
- Overview of media overlays, pronunciation style sheets and MathML
- Testing for accessibility in iOS, Android, Kindle and Readium
Alison Edwards, The Open University
"The ebook training was extremely valuable. Our team produces many student-facing booklets and pamphlets and we need to produce these to the highest standards as far as accessibility is concerned. We are now well equipped to publish well-structured ebooks that will be flawlessly accessible to our students."